Wednesday, September 2, 2009

FRIDAY 4TH SEPTEMBER

Rainbows are just to look at, not to understand. (Anon)



-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Inside each raindrop swims the sun.
Inside each flower breathes the moon.
Inside me dwell ten million stars,
One for each of my ancestors -
The elk, the raven, the mouse, the man,
The flower, the coyote, the lion, the fish.
Ten million different stars am I,
But only one spirit connecting all. (Nancy Wood)

What is life?
It is the flash of a firefly in the night.
It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.
It is the little shadow which runs across the grass
And loses itself in the sunset. (Crowfoot)


Crowfoot (1830-1890) Chief of the Blackfoot people, Canada

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-


“Iona” by the Scottish painter Francis Cadell (1883-1937)

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Ill fares the land, to hastening ills a prey,
Where wealth accumulates and men decay;
Princes and lords may flourish or may fade;
A breath can make them, as a breath has made;
But a bold peasantry, their country’s pride,
When once destroyed, can never be supplied.
(Oliver Goldsmith 1730-1774, an extract from The Deserted Village)

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

The singer here is Chloe Agnew and the melody comes from The Four Seasons by Vivaldi. The song is “Signore guidami” and the English translation is shown below.


Lord, guide me and tell me what to do,
I’ve seen the love of my life and he has seen me.
I want to tell him that I love him and I hope he’ll say the same.
Life goes by fast, my heart beats strong,
Lord, guide me and grant me peace.
I ask you what to say, how to say it.
Show me how to say I love him,
Show me how to say he loves me,
I’m praying that he’ll say that he loves me.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

No comments:

Post a Comment