Tuesday, February 16, 2010

 

Sunday 14th February was the Chinese New Year and that reminded me that some time ago I made a note of three Chinese poems which I particularly liked. They were written by Li Po (701-762) and here they are - his Mountain poems -

1)
All the birds have flown up and gone.
A lonely cloud floats leisurely by.
We never tire of looking at each other -
Just the mountain and I.

2)
You ask me why I dwell in the green mountain.
I smile and make no reply for my heart is free of care.
As the peach-blossom flows down stream
and is gone into the unknown,
I have a world apart that is not among men.

3)
As down Mount Emerald at eve I came,
The mountain moon went all the way with me.
Backward I looked to see the heights aflame
With a pale light that glimmered eerily.
A little lad undid the rustic latch
As hand in hand your cottage we did gain,
Where green limp tendrils at our cloaks did catch,
And dim bamboos o’erhung a shadowy lane.
Gaily I cried, “here may we rest our fill.”
Then choicest wines we quaffed, and cheerily
“The Wind among the Pines” we sang, until
A few faint stars hung in the Galaxy.
Merrily were you, my friend and drunk was I,
Blissfully letting the world go by.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Finally this slide show has some lovely Chinese pictures. I believe the music is South American in origin, but for me the tune goes very well with the images.




-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

1 comment: