Monday, December 6, 2010

A MOON REVERIE



[Image by FreeFoto.com]

The moon pulled off her veil of light,
That hides her face by day from sight,
(Mysterious veil of brightness made,
That’s both her lustre and her shade)
And in the lantern of the night
With shining horns hung out her light. (Samuel Butler)

-o-0-o-

The moon is a white, strange world, great, white, soft-seeming globe in the night sky, and what she actually communicates to me across space I shall never fully know. But the moon that pulls the tide, and the moon that controls the menstrual periods of women, and the moon that touches the lunatics, she is not the mere dead lump of the astronomer. When we describe the moon as dead, we are describing the deadness in ourselves. When we find space so hideously void, we are describing our own unbearable emptiness. (D.H. Lawrence)

-o-0-o-



Untitled (Archip Iwanowitsch Kuindshi)

There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery. (Joseph Conrad)

-o-0-o-

And I raise my eyes to the moon, with tears blurring my vision.
I ask Her why, what’s the reason, what’s my mission?
My toes going numb with the frost on the ground,
My arms spread out wide as I circle around.
When I fall to the earth, my energy spent at last,
I ask Her again with one final gasp,
Where did I come from and where shall I be,
What will be left when there’s nothing of me? (Anon)

-o-0-o-



Moon Nymph (Luis Ricardo Falero)

-o-0-o-

I see the moon, the moon sees me
Under the shade of the old oak tree;
Please let the light that shines on me
Shine on the one I love. (Popular Song)



Moon on the Delaware River (Thomas B. Griffin)

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

No comments:

Post a Comment