Monday, January 24, 2011

Loveliest of lovely things are they
On earth that soonest pass away.
The rose that lives its little hour
Is prized beyond the sculptured flower.
(William Cullen Bryant)


Thanks to FreeFoto. com

Go pretty rose, go to my fair,
Go tell her all I fain would dare,
Tell her of hope; tell her of spring,
Tell her of all I fain would sing,
Oh! were I like thee, so fair a thing.
(Michael Beverly)

-o-0-o-

Here are a few quotations that took my fancy . . . .

A thorn defends the rose, harming only those who would steal the blossom. (Chinese Proverb)

Gather the rose of love whilst yet is time. (Edmund Spenser)

I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds round my neck. (Emma Goldman)

The fragrance always stays in the hand that gives the rose. (George William Curtis)

Send two dozen roses to Room 424 and put "Emily, I love you" on the back of the bill. (Groucho Marx)

-o-0-o-

Robert Burns was born on 25th January 1721, so it seems appropriate to include his best known poem here.

O, my love is like a red, red rose
That’s newly sprung in June;
My love is like a melody
That's sweetly played in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonny lass,
So deep in love am I;
And I will love thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
I will love thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only love!
And fare thee weel, awhile!
And I will come again, my love,
Though it were ten thousand mile.

-o-0-o-

Thanks to “rulivede” for this short “time lapse” video



My new paintings blog began on Saturday at -
http://johnsgallery.blogspot.com

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

No comments:

Post a Comment