Monday, March 7, 2011

Some wise words from Sweden . . . .

Fear less, hope more.
Whine less, breathe more.
Talk less, say more.
Hate less, love more,
And all good things are yours.

-o-0-o-

Something different . . . .


Painted by the Chinese artist Huang Quan 903-965

-o-0-o-

A short story . . . .

Once upon a time a rich man had planned a great banquet to celebrate a military victory. However only one thing threatened the success of the meal; because of severe storms at sea, no boat had been able to set sail, and so there wasn’t a fish to be had anywhere in the whole area.

Early in the morning of the great day, an old fisherman appeared at the gate carrying an enormous fish, big enough to feed the whole company. The rich man was delighted and told the old fellow to name his price, and promised to give him anything he wanted.

“My price is one hundred lashes on my bare back,” was the answer, “and unless you give that, I won’t give you the fish!”

Of course the rich man was astonished at this, but the fisherman insisted, and so a servant was ordered to administer the flogging.

When fifty lashes had been given, the old man said, “Stop there! I have a partner in my work, and it’s only fair that he should have his share.”

“All right,” said the rich man, “And where is he?”

“He’s at your gate,” was the reply, “He’s your porter - he wouldn’t let me in, till I promised that he should have half of whatever I got for the fish.”

So the porter was summoned and, somewhat bewildered, received his fifty lashes.

As the fisherman turned to leave, the rich man called him back and gave him fifty gold coins.

There should be a moral in this tale somewhere, but I’m not sure what it is!

-o-0-o-

This music here is “Gabriel’s Oboe” by Ennio Morricone. The soloist is Carlo Romano, accompanied by the RAI National Symphony Orchestra



-o-0-o-

“Hi there! Excuse me butting in at Quiet Corner. I’m Norman the Nerd from COME SURF THE NET which begins on 26th March. More details next week. Bye just now!”

Norman appears thanks to - http://www.graphicshunt.com

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

No comments:

Post a Comment